Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Scopitones!



Believe it or not, I had never heard of a Scopitone before today. As you can see from the picture above, a Scopitone is basically a primitive video jukebox. There are a number of excellent sites on the web dedicated to archiving Scopitone films, but the best for novices (like me) is probably Scopitones.com. They're doing a fantastic job unearthing and posting these early music videos. Here are two of my favorites so far:



(In a just world, the Tornados would be as famous as the Ventures.)



(Risque!)

2 comments:

George said...

My favorite Scopitone is Danny and the Memories "Land of a 1000 Dances."
Within a few years of the video they would be Danny Whitten and Billy Talbot of Neil Young/Crazy Horse.

J. Crayon said...

Ha, I just watched it. Talk about contrast - those tuxes are a long way from Crazy Horse.